Saturday, October 9, 2010

LIFE CAN CHANGE IN A MOMENT

Sorry I have been absent for a day, almost two.  I actually feel bad about it, so many of you have been praying.  I am going to get you up to speed with as few words as I can. (that’s probably not possible)  The main reason I have not posted is that I am sick as a dog….probably the first cold I have had in 3 or 4 years and it has traveled…but losing my voice has just worn me out.  Then last night I started running fever…I slept 13 hours straight today. I would probably be well had I not been under a tad bit of stress and had very little sleep…But don’t worry about me…I am going to get a B12 shot and maybe a little celestone tomorrow and I feel sure I will be fine by the first of the week. If I’m not then YOU NEED TO WORRY!
Exactly a week ago I was sitting on the couch, still in my pajamas, ready to clean house and then take my girls to Canton the next day.  At 10:30 AM the phone rang and Jack’s cell phone number came up on our TV (I love caller ID on the TV)!  I answered like I have a thousand other times when he is on the road.  I did not even say hello, just picked up the phone and said “what’s going on?”  LIFE CHANGED IN THAT SECOND.
Instead of Jack, it was a member of the Life Flight crew about to load him in the helicopter and they were calling to tell me he had been found in his hotel room, they felt like he had a stroke, he was alive and they were taking him to Dallas to one of two hospitals.  I am too tired tonight but one day I will tell you the entire story and the GOD stops that happened within the first few hours.  I know much more about it now than I did a week ago as Jack remembers every detail of what happened, plus I have been able to talk at length with the hotel staff.  That is another story.
I was thinking about a post earlier and I realized that I had 100 posts from this last week.  It is a week I never want to repeat but a week I witnessed miracle after miracle.  I saw a strength in my kids that I had no idea they had, and if I ever doubted we were a village, I know now that together we can do this.  It has been a week that everyone  of us has had to step way out of our comfort zones.  We have learned that laughter even in the storm, will get you through the next few hours.  I learned that Amanda is stronger than I ever dreamed and her glass is always half full, even with tears running down her face.  I learned that Greg and I are even more alike than I thought.. I learned that Dana and Micah are team players and will do whatever needs to be done and that Pop is loved by them as much as his own kids.  I learned that Amanda and I could live with far less clothes than we thought..(as in we had very few with us)!  Thank you Target for being close by…and to all those that were in Target the night we were, thanks for not stopping us as we walked around the store crying.  It just happened to hit us as we walked through the door.  I learned that Doctors that have taken Bed Side Manners 101 make life a lot easier when you have a major problem and are away from home.  I learned that some people that went into nursing should have pursued another career, maybe one where you did not have to deal with the public.  On the other hand I learned that a great nurse MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE.  We had both.  I relearned something that I had learned when my parents were sick.  EVERY PATIENT NEEDS AN ADVOCATE.  PERIOD. I learned that if you have a friend that is a doctor (and I know that is not the case for everyone) and he is at your side…you get a different level of respect.  (Roger I owe you big time.  The fact that you were in town was a miracle in itself)
I  learned that Jack touched the lives of more football players in  his 30 plus years of coaching than I ever dreamed.  They appeared at the hospital door from near by and some that had to drive hours after someone called them or they read it on FB…and that's a post I cannot go near right now for fear of bawling my eyes out which is not the best medicine for a cold.  So today, 7 days later, I am smarter than I was this time last Saturday. I am humbled, I am grateful, I  am amazed at the goodness of people, nice still exists.  I know far more how to help others in a similar situation in the future.  I know what makes a difference and what gives hope.  I know what it means for someone to say, “let me know if there is anything I can do” and someone that says, “Tell me what you need done that will make a difference”!  I learned that as HARD AS IT IS for me to accept help, I am going to have to. 
Now for the update after all those words!  We are back in Shreveport.  We were able to move Jack to an acute rehab center here in OUR TOWN, last night.  Dr. Elizabeth Rice-De,(she wants to read the blog to keep up with Jack)  your picture  should be next to the word doctor in the dictionary.    I almost called you Elizabeth as Amanda and I felt like you were a lifelong friend when we left yesterday.  Your sweet smile, your care and compassion  sets you apart and makes Baylor hospital look good.  I am going to make sure they know it…and I will help you plan a Disney trip anytime.  And one day Jack is going to walk back in the hospital or we are going to meet you for dinner for you to see how hard he has worked.  I know the decision you made yesterday was probably not what everyone would have done, but I also know that you trusted us and actually listened to us.  When you said we were the most pro-active family you had ever seen, I had to laugh.  That was the highest compliment you could have paid us.   And when you looked at me and said you thought he would totally recover, you gave me hope.  When you looked like you were about to cry every time Amanda and I did, I knew how much you cared.  I really believe that God chose you for us.  And then to get  beautiful too, was just an extra…
Back to Jack.  He is settled in the rehab center.  The doctors we had chosen were waiting on  us when we arrived.  He does have pneumonia, which we knew when we left Dallas, but feel like its a result of aspirating some fluid when he was  on the floor for  four hours after the stroke.  So that is our biggest prayer request now that the next few chest X-rays will show that it is responding to the meds.  The other cause of worry would be that there will be no heart issues while  he has to be off two heart medications for 10 days because of the bleed from the stroke.  He has movement everywhere.  His left hand was the last to come back and he is lifting it up and down over and over…His speech improves everyday…It has not been slurred, it just sounds monotone and like he is hoarse.  He has not lost any memory…he can remember things I can’t, and its only been a week.  He has cracked some jokes everyday, but I am not going to paint a picture that everything is fine.  I want the man that left on a trip on Thursday back and am going to do everything in my power to make sure he gets the best rehab.  If he recovers 90%, I will be thankful, but my goal is for him to be totally well.  I think he will walk in the next few weeks, maybe sooner…He is just weak and the best part is he wants to start rehab NOW.  He said if they wanted him to do three hours a day, he was going to do six.  That’s the old coach in him.
He had breakfast with all four little's this morning.  He has called me several times to find out how I was feeling (same personality, still taking care of me)…I am not going to take a chance on giving him a cold so until I am better I am going to stay home. 
I have no idea what the next few months hold…we have been told that sadness and tears will come when we least expect them, that there will be days we see no progress, days he is depressed and days we are..so as much as I would like to pencil it all in on my calendar, STROKE does not pencil in.  As I walked up our sidewalk last night alone last night, I don’t have to tell you what was going through my mind…would we ever walk in together from a movie or a dinner, would he ever pick up the kids from school or leave to run errands.  Would I ever be able to call him from a house and tell him we were having light problems and could he come help and how in the world would I get the Christmas lights up that he is so particular about because he knows how happy it makes me, how would  I ever open our storage because the lock only works for him, would I ever see him sitting in the recliner reading a book while I blogged, or would he ever drop me off at the door at Target and tell me to call him when I was ready.  Would he ever run to Circle K and get ice cream late at night just because I was hungry for some and on and on.  I am just going to admit it…I have not put gas in my car or washed it in years….I rarely go to the grocery store…He likes to and I don’t.  I have not picked up a prescription or been to the Post Office in a LONG TIME.  The dog minds him, she NEVER minds me.  You get the picture. 
That was a lot of words…Sara, I am going to write you, but I want you to know that your message to me last night was the sweetest words I have heard.  I had no idea that I had ever made your day, but you sure made mine better last night.  I just happen to read it right after I had all the feelings I just wrote about. 
Back to some Theraflu and sleep.  To everyone of you that has written, eventually I will get to personally thank you.  For the next few weeks I have to be in tree mode…BIG TIME.  My holiday blog will have a new look in a day or two and Terri is going to help me keep it up…If any of you can tell me how to transfer a video from my iphone to my blog in very simple steps I would love it…I think I have taken so much medicine that simple things have become complicated.  Thanks for walking along on this journey with me.  Life can change in a moment. 

48 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sweetie. I'm so glad to hear that Jack has been moved closer to home and is doing as well as he is. Please get as much rest as possible before you try to do everything again. Jack and you are still be lifted in my prayers.

Much love, Tracy :)

Bernie said...

This will be so much easier on you, Jack and your family having Jack closer to home. So thankful that he is coming around so good.
Hope your cold heals soon, keeping you all in my prayers.....:-) Hugs

Debbie Petras said...

Oh my, thank you for sharing about what is going on. I'm so sorry to learn this news about your Jack. However, so glad to read that he has been transferred closer to home in a rehab center.

Isn't it amazing how life can be turned upside down so quickly? I will be praying for Jack and you and your family as you go through this season of trusting God.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Unknown said...

I can only imagine how Jack felt when all of the littles visited with him. You take care of yourself and get plenty of much needed rest.

You've all had some wonderful miracles in the midst of all of this and I'm so very thrilled. He's going to soar in his rehab being so close to home.

Feel better soon.

BARBIE said...

Thankful Jack is going to be able to be closer to home and near family. May God continue to strengthen you and may He pour His healing out on Jack!!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

So glad to hear that Jack is closer to home. Sorry to hear you are now sick. Praying for all of you still. Dr. Elizabeth sounds wonderful and the world could use more drs. like her.

Get well soon so that you can help dear Jack on his road to recovery.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

ShirleyC said...

Teresa, we are about to leave for a week. I was so glad to hear that Jack is back in town. That would have to make your life a lot less complicated.
You are so right. Life can change in the blink of an eye. There is nothing we can do to control it except rely on God to carry us through.
Having wonderful doctors makes all the difference in the world, and I was certainly blessed on that end.
You will be in my prayers. I hope you get well and Jack continues to improve.
Hugs,Shirley

Cindy Lou said...

I am so glad you were able to get Jack moved and I know that you are pleased with his progress...we continue to pray for complete healing!! I have thought about you many times this week and each time I send up a quick prayer! I know that doctors can only do so much, then our heavenly Father has to take over and he is the ultimate healer!! Love and Hugs from Georgia!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

You are treated exactly like I am and i cannot imagine not having hubs. So today I pray for Jack as if he were my own.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so beautifully. I am praying for you, from one "my husband always fills my car with gas for me" friend to another. So many transitions for you to deal with all at once. YOU CAN DO IT.

Fondly,
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Sweet friend, Your post is so real . . . so connecting. I appreciate your honesty, your humor and your courage. We are praying and believeing that Jack will take you for ice cream, unlock the door, run errands and walk up the sidewalk with you very soon. Think of how far he has come - so fast. Miracles and angels surround you and keep you. Can't wait to read more. Praying for your swift recovery from that nasty cold. Love you precious, blessed woman of God. Ann Tew

Michelle said...

Sounds like things are beginning to look up. So good that he is close to home. Praying that your cold goes away soon.

(((HUGS)))

gayle said...

As I am reading this I have tears running down my face!! I can feel your pain and feel your pleasure each step of the way. Your husband sounds like a wonderful husband, father and grandpa!!! He sounds like mine. I have often said "what would we all do without him". Who would put up my Christmas tree etc etc. I am so glad he is doing better. Praying for a fast recovery...because with his spirit..recover he will.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that Jack is close to home now. My prayers for you both continue.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I will continue to keep you all in prayer. What a blessing that he is closer to home now and responding so well. God Bless. Hugs, Marty

Debby said...

I am glad that your Hubby is closer to home. I hope that you feel better soon. So nice that you have been able to have your family help you through this. It has to be so hard on all of you. Sending ((((HUGS)))) and saying prayers.

Theresa said...

Oh my dear friend, I know STROKE so well! My Mother had one at 60 years old and I remember all of the feelings you are having!

My Son-in-law had a stroke at 40 years old about 2 years ago and he completely recovered. So... it does happen!

I hope you feel better and that you get your Man back just where you want him to be.

Love to you and continued prayers!

Bacardi Mama said...

I can feel the hope in your voice. How wonderful that after only a week you are back in your own hometown and Jack has seen the littles. Just that will help him so much. I'm sorry to hear that you are full blown sick, but I'm not surprised. You need to remember to take care of you too. I continue to pray for you all. ((HUGS))

Mammy said...

So happy you are home. Praying for your healing so you can go take care of your man. Continued prayers for him, of course. Praying for a day soon that you will be able to say, "Ahhhh! Normal!"

Blessed Beyond said...

I have not been around blog land much at all in some time, so this is the first I knew of this. But please know I am praying for Jack, and you and all the family, as well as all the medical staff that works with him. Praying for a full recovery! Praying you are better really soon. Some days are harder and much sadder, I will not lie, but you have a beautiful loving family help you get through! Hugs and Prayers

Nina Diane said...

first...I'm glad ya'll are back home. Second, take care of yourself girlie and get all well. And 3rd...well, still praying hard for you guys! ~hugs~

Vicki said...

Hi Teresa, I am so thankful you guys are back in Shreveport. Being "home" will make a huge difference in the stress-load you're carrying. I'm thrilled that Jack is doing so well; what a great example of how prayer works! Sounds like he's ready to work hard at coming back 100%. Remember to take care of yourself. Pace yourself. Give up what you can to others. Your post shows that you're able to see the positive, that's a great attitude and will carry you far. Thanks for providing specific prayer requests. Feel better soon!

Lindsey said...

Goodness! You have had a rough time. Glad to hear Jack is doing better.

Heart2Heart said...

Teresa,

Praying for you and Jack that his recovery will be 100%. God likes fighters and those not willing to throw in the towel and Jack sounds like such a wonderful man. God will bring him back to you.

Thank you for writing this emotional and heartfelt post in reminding us all what is important and to take time everyday to make sure everyone in our family knows they are loved and cared for.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love the power of prayers. I am so glad that they were able to move Jack and his progress seems to be going in the right direction.
I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

Linda said...

To God be the glory...great things He has done!!!

I was just sitting here wondering how Jack was doing, and then I saw your post. I am so glad you are back home and that Jack is close by and doing better.

It sounds like he is certainly going to work hard to get well...being the coach and knowing that hard work pays off! (:>)

I am so glad that you have experienced so much love during this past week, and that so many prayers are going up for Jack, and for you and the family. My husband and I have been praying for you too.

I am going to pray also that you will be able to get some needed rest and recover from your bad cold. It is hard to be under so much stress, and it bogs down your immune system. So take care Teresa and let others help you.

Hugs to you and the family...it sounds like they have been through so much right along with you. It is nice to see how much they all love you and Jack!

The "littles" will be a comfort...and a boost for you, cuz I know how much you love them.

Keep your sense of humor and hold tight to your faith in God. And give Him the glory for all He has done...and all that He is going to do!

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

twinkle said...

Thankful for all the support you have right now. Thankful for Jack being back your neck of the woods. Praying he will soon be stronger and able to come home to you. Wish I could be there to help you with the trees, the lights, the stuck door...I've seen Jesus work those kind of things out for me in my own needs. I know He will for you, too.

Jesus, heal Jack quickly with not long-term disabilities. Provide for this family. Heal Teresa's cold. Bless those who have served Jack and his adoring family. Proverbs 3:5-6. In Christ's Name. Amen.

Donetta said...

Take good care of yourself. It sounds like Jake is being well cared for. Remember how well he has cared for you and do not neglect the woman he loves do dearly. Rest. I hope health comes and grabs hold of you both.

Erin W said...

So thankful that he is back in your home town. I just wanted to add a few things in my comment. It was jsut a year ago that I too was staying in Baylor. Unable to walk, talk or even eat. I know how he feels when he says that he will do 6 hours when they only say 3. When you have the WILL to get better, there is nothing that will stop you. I know this first hand. I went to the hospital to have my son with what we figured to be a fun and exciting day. Little did we know that I would suffer the worst case of postpartum Hemohoraging and DIE! They were able to save me {a total of three times} but it wasn't easy. Mine and my families life will never be the same. Thoughts haunt my every waking moment. The power of prayer and God Grace saved me and healed me. I am here today to share my testimony with others and help in similar situations. You two will have the same story very soon! He is a living Miracle. God has something great in store for him... for you all. God is not done using him for his Glory. What a glorious day!

Grandma Cyndi said...

Dear sweet Teresa, Sleeping in your own bed is some of the best medicine, hope you are on the road to recovery. You may think you can not do all those things Jack has done for you, but you sound amazingly strong too! You will summon the power to do what needs to be done, for as long as it needs to be done and when this has past you will look back and know that the Lord lifted you up and took your burdens. It is so wonderful that your family has circled arund you and we in the blog world are praying with you and for you all.

Jo Whitehurst said...

Proverbs 19:20-21 (NIV)

20 Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.

21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

We would never ask to become wise on this subject, but, the LORD is using you in a very powerful way, right now.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)

9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Praying for you and yours, as God works "powerfully" in your entire family.

billypandnikkysmom said...

I am so glad that you were able to bring him closer to home! That will be easier on all of you, I bet that seeing those beautiful faces really made Jack feel good! I am praying for all of you, stay strong! Blessings to all...

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry you had to go through this but you do have a Village of strong family to support and help you through. Not to mention the strongest support of all in the healing hands of God.

I'm so happy that Jack is near you and to hear he is improving every day. My prayers are with him for a speedy and complete recovery for both of you. You've got to take care of you too girl!

Yes, life can change in a moment. I got to spend a few days with my Dad in Brownsville Tx who has fought a rare form of Leukemia for almost three decades. Wed. evening he lost the battle as we went home. He'll suffer no more for which I'm very thankful for.

Take care girl and may God richly bless you and your family!

Beth E. said...

Teresa,
I am so glad you're home! When my brother had his brain hemorrhage, he was in ICU for three weeks in a hospital three hours from any of his family. My parents, sis, and I took turns staying with him. The distance was very difficult on us all.

I do understand the exhaustion you feel and the physical and emotional toll the stroke has had on all of you. Please know I am praying for Jack, you, and your family. Take care of yourself and get well soon!

Hugs,
Beth

Justabeachkat said...

Yea, you are home! I haven't been at my computer much at all these last few days since my sister has been here visiting us, but I promise you that you and Jack have been on muy mind and in my prayers. I'm so glad you have a doctor you adore and that really listens to you. I'm worried about you though and I'm so glad you're taking care of yourself. I hope you feel much better real soon.

Hugs and much love,
Kat

Misty said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog over the last few months. I will pray in agreement with you, your family, and friends for complete healing and restoration in Jack's body.

LisaShaw said...

Teresa,

I'm very LATE on all of what Jack and you have been going through and I am so sorry! I'm PRAYING right now along with countless others for Jack's full recovery in the Name of Jesus!!!

Praying for strength, peace, comfort, wisdom, and an extra dose of GOD'S GRACE along this journey toward full restoration!

Love and blessings!

Cheryl Barker said...

Wow -- what a story of how life can change in a moment. May God bless your husband with complete healing and give you strength for each new day!

LisaShaw said...

Just posted a Pause and Pray for Jack on my blog. Blessings sis!

Unknown said...

Praying for Jack and your family Teresa!

God will take care of you!

Blessings,
Jill

Doris said...

So glad you are home. There just isn't a better place to be. Hubby will get home too....rehab is not easy but it helps get one where they want to be =)

Blessings to you!

nomo wino daph said...

Glad he is closer to home!

Praying & thinking of you often!

XXOO

elizabeth said...

Hello sweet dear - just dropping by to let you you know that y'all continue to be in the prayers of me and my husband. I can't imagine what you are going through, but know that you are not going through it alone. {{{hugs}}}

Sunny Sue said...

Teresa, I am so glad to hear that you are all "home" again. I can't even begin to imagine what you have been through. I appreciate you keeping us all up-to-date when I know you should be sleeping.

We will continue to pray for Jack, you and the rest of the family. I am so glad that you had so many friends and family surrounding you through this horrific time. I know that God got you all through it, but isn't it nice that he brought those special people along?!

Cathy said...

Bless your heart. I am praying for you and your husband, praying for healing, in Jesus name. Blessings ~

Shannon said...

New follower and just wanted to add that I will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family. God is truly amazing!

Tammy said...

Teresa...so sorry to hear you are under the weather. Sog glad you slept last night. I bet it felt wonderful! Also glad to hear Jack is back in the area you live...God is good!

XOXO! I will continue to pray for you all!

Holly said...

Glad you are home....Jack will need your strength....take care of yourself
Holly~