Thursday, March 19, 2009

MY GIRL

How do I introduce you to my girl?
This is one of those post that I hope will not take on book form. I am not sure it can be done in one post . I have started to write it a dozen times and each time am overwhelmed with so many memories. I will do it in time periods and see how far I get and how many tears I shed.

First meet 18 year old Amanda, All-American cheerleader. Both of our kids were blessed to go to our church's private school, Evangel Christian Academy, a football giant! (for any of you across the US that love high school football, you have probably heard of it) !

It all begin on a very normal January day. Amanda was about to begin the spring semester of her senior year. Through tons of tears she told us she was pregnant. She had courageously carried that secret ALONE for four months. She had continued to cheer, was an awesome gymnast, and it was a year we had played football well into December winning the State Championship. Her words to me that day were "Mom, I just did not want to tell you during your tree decorating season. You had enough stress!"
She had gone to a Crisis Pregnancy Counseling Center in early October to take a pregnancy test. She was not in love with the Dad, she told me abortion was not even a thought, so she just decided to wait until after the holidays to tell us. Adoption, as wonderful as it is in some situations, was also something she never considered. She told our pastor/close friend first and then together on that January afternoon, they told us.
In the midst of our shock, our family had never stood so solidly together. Now when I think back on that day and think of all the things she was going to miss, the plans that were going to change, the changes that were coming to our home, I would tell you that my normal reaction, at least initially would have been to be angry, hurt, sick, devastated, and every other emotion on the hysteria scale. What I can tell you is that I had absolutely none of those feelings. The only emotion Jack and I both felt was just such profound sadness that she had carried that burden alone for 4 months. She was 5 months pregnant and had not gained a pound. (We call it the shortest pregnancy in history).
God's grace was just all over our home. I remember getting up the next day and looking in the mirror and wondering why I was fine. Why the peace? It must be shock..all these things running through my mind...and guess what? That peace never left, not for a day, not for an hour, not for a minute.

The school gave her the option to continue school or finishing up her work at home and graduating. She chose to stay home and was finished in just a couple of months. She and I began to plan the nursery immediately. That first week we got an ultrasound and knew the baby was a boy. Amanda took it upon herself to call all our family members,her grandparents,our friends, etc. I stood amazed at her strength.


The first week in May, Amanda graduated from high school and on May 27, Parker Benjamin Powell was born. It was a precious moment, a holy moment. I was in delivery with Amanda and after a very short, easy labor, the doctor handed me the scissors to cut the cord. There are moments in life that are seared in your memory as "The BEST"! This was one of those.
As I stepped out of the delivery room to introduce Parker, there were his great grandparents, his aunt and uncle and a multitude of friends. More tears and lots of celebration. He is a fifth generation and named after his two great, great grandfathers. His great, great grandmother Parker was still alive and he quickly became the king of the nursing home.

From that day until this day almost 10 years later, everyday we have told that little man that he is the best thing that ever happened to any of us. So much so that I can say "Hey Parker" and he will say "I know, I am the best thing that ever happened to you". I love it. Amanda was a teenager, but she was also SUPER MOM. There was never a day we were not proud of her. And the village was ready and willing to help her raise her baby. Parker had more close friends at one month than I had at 45.

Since this already looks like a book I will save some of the in between God stories of the next eight years. Amanda went to work for a group of doctors, who she still works for today. She could not ask for a better job. She went to college, traveled, visited her girlfriends away at college (sometimes Parker tagging along)...he was everyone's baby.
I work from home, so we were always able to keep him and at almost 10, he has never been to daycare or stayed with a babysitter. Amanda's number one focus has always been Parker. And there is no little boy more in love with his Mom. I never had to be the Mom, always Grammy Girlfriend..and I have loved every minute of it.

When Parker was almost eight, Amanda found the man God meant for her. She was madly in love, but she first had to be sure Micah had fallen in love with Parker. Wow, did he ever! That was another answer prayer.

She had several relationships during the 8 prior years, but never felt that any of them were right for Parker. We are so thankful she waited. So almost 2 years ago on a sweet day in July, her Dad and Parker walked her down the aisle and gave her away. There was not a dry eye in the church.

So today you meet the 28 year old,very happily married Amanda, MOM of 2 little boys, one 10 and one a year old.
Life is good.

I don't want you to think that there were no hard issues, but that's another post for another day and during the pregnancy, it really did not matter. For the first years of Parker's life, the father was not ready to be a Dad, but I can say with great joy, because of many prayers he is in Parker's life today.
So along the way I will blog about some other God stories about Amanda and Parker. God has given us so many opportunities to encourage other parents that are facing their teenagers and unplanned pregnancies
.

Amanda and Baby Jack

Amanda and Parker at Disney World

My Girl

29 comments:

Sheryl said...

What an incredible daughter you have. You both are very blessed to have each other. Thanks for sharing her story (and your story) with the rest of us.

Leah said...

What a story - thanks for sharing! I pray it helps someone cope better with this same situation in their own life. You are such an inspiration!

Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

So much of this story tells me as much about you as it does about Amanda. To walk in love... to walk in faith... what a journey. Wiping the tears from my face. God is so good.

Just Call Me Grammy said...

Beautiful story...no wonder you are proud!

Tracy said...

This brought tears to my eyes! What an incredible example of grace all the way around. So glad to learn about your daughter and the precious relationships all of you share. God is good!

Mrs. Valente said...

What a beautiful look into your family! Thank you for posting this. I hope and pray it will be a blessing to many!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I always say there are worse things in the world then an uplanned pregnancy, tell your sweet daughter that at 30 when I had to tell my parents I was probably just as scared as she was as a teenager, kudos to her for being a great mom. Isn't God wonderful?

Kelly said...

What a special story. I am so glad that she CHOSE LIFE! God doesn't make mistakes, does he? No, he turns all to good for those who love him. :-)

Anonymous said...

That is quite a story.

She and Parker are both lucky ot have you.

Pami said...

so nice to meet I love your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine. I love Dancing with the stars too, and Football I am missing it so I am a huge fan of the Cowboys eversince I was a little girl, GO BOYS! can't wait for that time again always seems like something is missing when it ends for the year but it will be here soon you have lovely grandchildren, looking forward to gettting to know you better love your blog and love the fact you decorate Christmas trees I love decorating my own never thought of helping others how fun.
Happy UBP!!!!!

Pami said...

what a lovely tribute to your daughter it is such a bleesing knowing how much love for God you have in your heart that is how you made it through without anger, very touching story she is beautiful and her boys are beautiful too what a lucky mom you are and grammy

Rachel said...

Wow... wow...

I'm the daughter of a teenage pregnancy too. And my mom changed her life around because of it. God did a miraculous work in both our lives.

It was so very touching to read your beautiful tribute to your daughter. And God bless her for being such a good mom!

Ruth said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. I know Amanda would say, just as I do, we couldn't have done it without our awesome Moms!

Anonymous said...

wow what a touching and amazing post thanks for sharing that

Tiffany said...

I'm trying to dry up the tears and wipe them away so that I can write my comment.

Your Amanda's story and my story are so very similar. I too was a pregnant teen - end of my Junior year. Our daughter was born in January of our senior year. And she, too, is the best thing that's ever happened to our family.

I'm proud to say that amid the shock and hurt that our families stood by us, too - and God led the way. Fortunately for us, the daddy became my husband and this Sunday we will celebrate 12 years of marriage. Again - God led the way.

Thanks for sharing your story - especially about being so encouraging in a difficult situation. I think lots of people need to hear that part of the message!

God bless!

Katie said...

This is a amazing story. I wish so many girls would have the kind of parents your daughter had during this time. Also she is so unselfish to take care of her baby the way she has. You can tell how much you love her.

Summer said...

Wow....thanks for sharing such a touching and loving story to us. You brought tears to my eyes (I probably would have been balling if I was at home)

May God Bless you and your family with His abundant love and grace....

Summer

Aunt Angie said...

What a blessing. My story is similar...but yet...not. The ending is happier than the beginning..and we have 7 wonderful grandkids---the oldest and her brother which is one of the middle ones being "adopted" through my oldest's second marriage...yet we love 'em all.

Our first grandson was indeed a special boy---and he lived with us and his mommy for the first several months of his life. God is good. The good far outweighs the bad in our lives. God is complete. He give us peace when we simply couldn't function otherwise.

Your story is one I want to KEEP reading! Thanks for sharing your heart today.

Kathryn said...

What a lovely story of a family that truly loves & cares for each other.

Your blog is really beautiful. You said you just started? You are off to a good start.

Thanks so much for stopping by & leaving a message at my blog. I'm glad you're enjoying the party. Your give aways are so very generous! They look lovely. (I didn't eneter there, i never win anything, anyway!) Just here to meet folks.

Have a lovely day.

RA said...

You must be so proud of Amanda to have taken this great responsibility at such young age. I'm happy for you and your family that everything has turned out so well. Parker is a wonderful boy :). This is a very encouraging post. Thank you for sharing.

Kelley said...

That is the sweetest story! I am crying as I read it. All of the things you said about Parker being your husband's best buddy rings true with a nephew I have and my dad, his PawPaw. My brother had a child when he was in high school. I know about the emotions that your family went through. My family did too. My nephew will be 23. He has brought so much joy to our lives. I admire how you have parented your daughter through this. What a blessing you are!

Paula said...

Your family is simply amazing. What strength of character Amanda has, and what wonderful supporting parents.

Laura B. said...

What a wonderful and encouraging story. Your children and grandchildren are truly beautiful! I have enjoyed reading your blog today!

Unknown said...

You write so lovingly and beautifully about your family! Thank you for sharing. This post brought tears to my eyes! What a strong daughter you have. She is just a little older then I am and I just don't know if I could have been that brave. Again, thank you for sharing!!

shannon boyd said...

Mz I love this girl!

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

A wonderful daughter who is clearly so because of her wonderful parents. And look what a gift you have all been given in Parker.

Angela said...

I am so glad you 'stopped' by my blog the other day. I know it was God lead, that is without a doubt!! What an awesome beautiful post...By each sentence I read, I saw the hand of God and His lavish love displayed...

thank you for sharing this story..

T said...

I know this was posted long ago but I just came across this story and have to say THANK YOU for posting it! I too got pregnant at an early age (16) and it was by far one of the very best things in my life and I wouldn't ever change it. I will not say it was easy because it wasn't but it can be done and I wish more girls out there that get in that position could have the same experience and know that they are loved no matter what, even if it's to know that it's God's love and not their parents. I was very blessed to have a mother like you. Thank you so much for being that parent to your child. I wish their were more of people like your family and mine out there to love the ones who are less fortunate!

Wendy @RunningonMTT said...

Wow - what a story! I seriously have tears in my eyes!

Amanda is very lucky to have you in her life...she sounds like an amazing daughter.

And Parker sounds like an amazing little boy who was wanted and loved!

(((HUGS)))